The NSW Department of Education is seeking school counsellors for temporary employment opportunities.
The Department of Education serves the NSW community by providing world-class education from early childhood through to adulthood.
School counsellors work as a member of an interdisciplinary team, working with school and Departmental staff to enhance student learning and wellbeing. They provide psychological counselling services to students in allocated public schools from Preschool to Year 12. Ability and willingness to travel between worksites.
This is a great opportunity to be part of a new and exciting growth phase at the Department of Education. You can look forward to a diverse caseload that you will find professionally satisfying and allow you to apply your professional skills in a supported and collegial environment.
To be successful in these roles you will have:
- Teaching qualifications and eligibility for an approval to teach in NSW Department of Education schools
- Be a registered or provisionally registered psychologist, or eligible for registration with the Psychology Board of Australia
- Have demonstrated understanding of the mental health needs of children and young people
- Experience in counselling children and young people using evidence-based interventions
- Experience in cognitive, emotional and behavioural assessment of children and young people
- Well-developed interpersonal, oral and written communication skills, including report writing
- Ability to work collaboratively and liaise with key stakeholders to enhance outcomes for children and young people
- Knowledge of and commitment to the Department's Aboriginal education policies
Prior to appointment, School Counsellors will need to provide proof of current Working with Children Check clearance and have an ability to travel between work sites.
Scholarships are available for successful applicants who require additional training in the delivery of psychological services in school settings.
Successful applicants will be provided with a Departmental induction program, ongoing professional learning and professional supervision.
Please apply online at www.iworkfor.nsw.gov.au. Job reference: 00007J6R. Applications close at 4:00 pm, Wednesday 29 January 2020.