St Michael's Catholic School, Palm Island has a strong commitment to the education of Aboriginal and Torres Strait children as well as the provision of positive academic, social and cultural opportunities within a caring and dynamic environment. St Michael’s has a current enrolment of 128 students in classes from Prep to Year 6. Palm Island is a 20 minute flight from mainland Townsville and accommodation is provided on the island. Townsville Catholic Education Office is offering a dynamic and challenging opportunity for a Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist. A particular emphasis will be to work collaboratively with the school community to provide and foster the achievement, participation and development of all students.
About the Role
Townsville Catholic Education Office is offering a dynamic and challenging opportunity for a Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist. As the Guidance Counsellor/Psychologist you will apply your psychological expertise to support students to achieve cognitive, emotional, social, physical and spiritual wellbeing. You will be part of the pastoral and support team and provide counselling and psychological assessment of students. You will complement and enhance the work of teachers to strengthen student learning and wellbeing outcomes. A particular emphasis will be to work collaboratively with the school community to promote and foster the achievement, participation and development of all students.
The successful applicant will be required to live on Palm Island.
- Understanding of, and sensitivity to, the ethos of the Catholic School
- Current full registration or current provisional registration with eligibility for full registration as a teacher in Queensland, and one year (minimum) full-time (or part-time equivalent) coursework Masters, majoring in guidance and counselling
- AHPRA registered or provisionally registered psychologist
- Highly developed inter-personal communication and relationship skills in dealing with a diverse range of students, school staff, parents, community members and professionals from other agencies and organisations
- Ability and willingness to travel, with a current and valid driver’s licence
- Experience with and commitment to the education and wellbeing of Indigenous students within the context of their families and communities
- Demonstrated capacity to facilitate and perform psycho-educational assessments
- Capacity to develop and implement counseling and wellbeing programs to support the needs of children with personal, social and emotional needs