North West Mental health Service Age Persons Mental Health Program (APMHP)
Consultant Psychiatrist Fixed Term Long service leave cover for 20 weeks full time looking to start 23rd September 2019.
Melbourne Health is an award winning health care service and is Victoria’s second largest public health service. We provide comprehensive acute, sub-acute, general, specialist medical and mental health services through both inpatient and community based facilities through the following services: The Royal Melbourne Hospital – City Campus, The Royal Melbourne Hospital – Royal Park Campus, North Western Mental Health, North West Dialysis Service and Victorian Infectious Diseases Reference Laboratory.
North Western Mental Health (NWMH) provides a comprehensive, integrated range of services to people with a serious mental illness in North-Western Melbourne. A multi-disciplinary workforce of 1,800 staff provides services through four Area Adult Mental Health Services (North West, Mid West, Inner West and Northern), an Aged Persons’ Mental Health Program and a Youth Mental Health Service – ORYGEN Youth Health. NWMH is a clinical service of Melbourne Health and operates in partnership with Northern Health and Western Health. APMHP currently has a long service leave vacancy for a suitably experienced consultant psychiatrist with an interest in Old Age Psychiatry.
The position is based within APMHP which has inpatient units, community teams and specialist Clinics across the north west of metropolitan Melbourne. The appointee would be required to provide high standards of clinical care and leadership with focus on leadership in a multidisciplinary team and working closely with other disciplinary leads. In addition the position has opportunities for education of medical students and supervision of trainees in Psychiatry, other Aged related specialties and medical officers. Participation in the afterhours senior roster is expected.
- The FRANZCP as formal supervision of trainee psychiatrists is a necessary part of the position.
- Membership of the Faculty of Old Age Psychiatry, Royal Australian and New Zealand College of Psychiatrists or being able to show a clear pathway of Specialist training and experience in Old Age Psychiatry that will achieve membership in near future.
- Full Medical registration with APHRA is required.
- Experience at the level of Consultant in Aged Psychiatry.
- Demonstrated clinical and leadership expertise consistent with a role in a comprehensive Mental Health Service.
- Demonstrated effective communication, consultation and negotiation skills including the ability to work effectively with multidisciplinary teams, internal and external agencies and stakeholders, and consumer and carer groups.
- Demonstrated achievement in education and training of medical students, postgraduate students and other junior medical staff.
- Demonstrated knowledge of current relevant State and Commonwealth Government policies and agendas in mental health care delivery in the broader community context.
- Sound understanding of mental health legislation.
- Knowledge of the National Safety and Quality Health Service (NSQHS) Standards. National standards in Mental Health and the Aged Care Act.
As per the Australian Medical Association and Melbourne Health Specialists Agreement EBA 2018.