Following the launch of the new Rivergum Residential Treatment Facility we are seeking an experienced Psychologist to take up a key role in providing advanced psychological treatment.
In late 2018, Rivergum Residential Treatment Centre opened as a specialist post-sentence facility created for serious sexual and violent offenders deemed by the courts to require specialised and intensive treatment for two years in order to return to the community. Holding up to 20 residents, it's a secure, therapeutic environment forming part of Victoria's Post Sentence Detention and Supervision Scheme.
Rivergum is the first of its kind in Australia. This high profile treatment centre has been designed in consultation with local and international experts to offer global best practice. Whilst Rivergum remains a part of the correctional system, it is a highly inclusive facility that promotes a collaborative, non-hierarchical therapeutic environment.
PRESS HERE to watch our Rivergum recruitment video
As a Senior Psychologist you will report to and work closely with the Clinical Services Manager in developing and maintaining a culture where the therapeutic focus of the centre is consistently upheld. The position will work with Specialist Case Managers and Specialist Case Workers to develop their understanding of behavioural change and how this manifests on a day-to-day basis.
Your responsibilities will include:
- delivery of evidenced-based psychotherapeutic services, including both group and individual treatment;
- research and preparation of treatment sessions, creation of clinical case formulations and documentation of treatments;
- provision of clinical advice to colleagues about resident activities and interactions contributing to innovative treatment plans;
- delivery / facilitation of small group schema therapy and mindfulness-based approaches;
- delivery of offence-specific, bespoke designed group treatment programs to reduce reoffending.
- Resilience. In this role you will encounter setbacks and will need to able to persevere and adapt to your challenging cohort.
- Experience in treating personality disorder.
- Expertise in applying best practice principles of therapeutic intervention.
- Knowledge of evidence-based treatment of violent and sexual offenders
- Be a registered psychologist with the Australian Health Practitioner Regulation Agency.
Those with experience in Schema Therapy or Mindfulness-based approaches are highly regarded.
The Rivergum facility is located 10 minutes from the country city of Ararat. Ararat is a popular tourist destination, acting as the gateway to the Grampians region, where you can find some of Australia's most stunning national parks and wine country. Ararat has a population of 9000+, possessing all the modern amenities you would expect in any major town, with a touch of country charm. Ararat is located 220 kilometres from Melbourne, accessible by recently upgraded highways.
Easily commutable is the beautiful city of Ballarat, one hour away by car. Ballarat is currently one of Australia's fastest growing cities, with over 100,000 residents and a vibrant cultural life. With good access to Melbourne and property prices averaging far less, Ballarat has become a popular choice for many seeking a quality, affordable lifestyle.
What's in it for you?
By working in a first of its kind treatment centre, the sky is the limit. Besides making a difference to the lives of the residents, you will be engaging in a stimulating and challenging role, unique in the forensic/clinical space. Here you can advance your career by developing your clinical expertise, diversity and leadership, whilst working with a highly motivated and positive ‘can-do' multi-disciplinary team. You will become a clinical leader, known for your expertise with serious offenders, and when you go home you will know you are making a difference to the safety of the community.
There are many other advantages in working for the Department of Justice at large including:
- Ongoing professional development in forensic and clinical treatment, including conferences, supervision, and training.
- Generous leave entitlements - including provisions for many forms of leave; including personal, parental, carers, study, cultural, compassionate and sick leave.
- Relocation allowance for eligible candidates.
To apply press here. Applications close Monday, 13 May at 11.59pm AEST.
Please note, we are regularly reviewing applications until the close date. Please don't hesitate in submitting your application.