- Part-time (3 days per week), Ongoing
- Located in Melbourne’s Western Suburbs
- New state of the art facility
- Free onsite parking
Forensicare is the statutory agency responsible for the provision of adult forensic mental health services across Victoria.
Forensic mental health is a special area within the mental health service system. The services provided by Forensicare address the needs of offenders experiencing mental health issues, the mental health sector, the justice sector and the general community.
The primary focus of this work is on providing clinical services for the effective assessment, treatment and management of forensic patients and clients and people with a mental illness who have offended or are at risk of offending. We are committed to providing Recovery-orientated forensic mental health services in which the principles of hope, social inclusion, personalised care and genuine collaboration are fundamental to practice.
Forensicare provides a comprehensive research program and special training and professional education for our staff and mental health and associated fields. Forensicare services are delivered through three streams, inpatient services at Thomas Embling Hospital, community services through the Community Forensic Mental Health Service and prison-based services at several locations.
Completed in 2017, Ravenhall Correctional Centre is a purpose built state of the art facility developed to international best practice standards. This medium-security men's prison at Ravenhall in Melbourne's west provides world-class forensic mental health services in Victoria. Known as Ballert-Yeram-Boo-ee (aboriginal term meaning 'Strong tomorrow'), the forensic mental health service within Ravenhall Correctional Centre is a high-secure facility that offers 75 inpatient beds across four units to patients from a range of prison sites across Victoria, as well as providing outpatient services to prisoners at Ravenhall Correctional Centre
About the role:
This role is based within Ballert-Yeram-boo-ee, working with mentally disordered patients/prisoners as a member of the multi-disciplinary team. The psychologist provides a high level of psychological expertise to Forensicare services at Ballert-Yeram-boo-ee, and provides high-level assessment, consultation, and intervention for various complex mental health issues. The psychologist is a key member of the multi-disciplinary team and contributes to clinical reviews, governance, and other relevant forums, with discipline support from a Senior psychologist.
- Provides a full range of psychological services and advice on the management and treatment of patients.
- Provides special psychological, psychometric and psychodiagnostic assessments and reports where necessary.
- Provides individual and/or group interventions as appropriate.
- Contributes to patient risk assessment and risk management in conjunction with the multi-disciplinary team.
- Contributing to multi-disciplinary clinical reviews, governance and other service specific forums
- Other duties as outlined in the Position Description
Qualification, skills and experience:
- Masters or Doctorate degree in Clinical Psychology from an APS accredited course or equivalent, OR Doctorate degree in Forensic Psychology from an APS accredited course or equivalent.
- APHRA registration with clinical and/or forensic endorsement
- Knowledge and experience working with offenders (desirable), including those with personality disorders.
- A good understanding of the current psychological approaches in working with mentally disordered male patients in the forensic mental health setting.
- Knowledge of relevant legislation, the mental health system, and the criminal justice system.
- Skills in clinical assessment, including the administration and interpretation of psychological tests designed to assess personality, psychopathology, intelligence and cognitive functioning.
- Skills in providing individual or group treatment with patients with mental illness, emotional problems, and/or behavioural problems.
We value our staff and provide a range of employee benefits including:
- Great salary packaging conditions
- Excellent leave entitlements
- Ongoing training and full orientation
- Comprehensive Health and Wellbeing Programs including: Staff health service, Critical Incident Stress Management and Employee Assistance Programs.
Forensicare values a diverse workforce and strongly encourages applications from Aboriginal and Torres Strait Islander people and people from culturally and linguistically diverse backgrounds.
This position is subject to a Police Check.
Forensicare promotes the following values: responsiveness, integrity, impartiality, accountability, respect and leadership; and promotes behaviours that are consistent with these values at all times. Forensicare is an equal opportunity employer and offers a smoke free environment.